Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day Three--Back to Work

I forgot how much I liked the start of the semester! This was the first time in a long time that I felt ready to go back to work when the break was over.

What do I like about the start of a semester?
I like the feeling of starting fresh. Anything is possible. The students feel this way too. On the first day of school, they are all diligent, committed students with the chance to make the dean's list! On the first day of school I am a brilliant teacher with the chance to have 100% retention and every student understanding what I say and working hard because I am such a good motivator!

Keeping the feeling going through 17 weeks is hard. Heck, keeping the feeling until week 8 terms is damn near impossible! Just ask the people who live with me!

I like the long lines of cars trying to get into the parking lot half an hour before the 8am rush or the 6 pm rush when the classes start. I like the crowds of students standing in the hallway, waiting to get into the classroom because they are too early and the last class is still there.

By week 8 the parking isn't crazy and the hallways aren't filled. My classes have absentees and late students and some students who will never return. What happens to those students?

The first of school is about HOPE.

No comments: