Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If Marsha and Kelly can travel 21.3 miles in 6 hours and 9 minutes while going against the wind and the headwind is blowing 20 miles per hour, what is the speed of Marsha and Kelly in still air and what would their time have been without the headwind?

Scroll down below the picture to see the answer. (El Esposo says I shouldn't tell because some of you would like to work out this problem! So I will put the answer key below!!)
Scroll down further....






Answer: Their speed would have been 23.46 miles per hour and they would have finished the walk in 54 minutes and 28 seconds.

Math is GOOD!

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Okay. How do you figure this? I don't think I could ever walk that fast even if the wind was at my back and I was on one of those moving sidewalks like they have at the airport! : )

Kelly said...

See, you thought algebra was useless! I just used algebra to make us super women!

Mia's Classroom said...

ha! Sometimes, when I'm on a long run or hike, I do math problems in my head to pass the time. Math IS good!

Congrats on a great walk! All that hard work pays off.