Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Family you Choose

I believe that there is the family you are born with and the family you choose. I am lucky enough to have been born to a great family and to have had the opportunity to meet people who have become the family I chose.

Last night Robert and I lost a wonderful member of our chosen family . Frank is the father of my Seattle friend. I met her in college and acquired a wonderful Seattle family, headed by Frank. He was an educator by profession, retired long before I knew him, but still a teacher. Whether in the paint store or around the dinner table, to listen to his stories was to learn. Being around him was the first time that I realized that some people are born to be teachers and whether in the classroom or not, they teach. They can't help it. I will always include him among my role models as an educator.

He has been in a nursing home for awhile and it was difficult to know that such a vital, social man was confined in that way due to the failures of his body. So, a part of me feels that he has been set free of the confines. But another part of me is very sad that he is gone.
Have seconds everyone, there is no dessert.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several years ago while Kelly and I were visiting the Seattle contingent, I was in the F's basement doing some laundry and I noticed copious amounts of cut-off bottom portions of half gallon milk cartons. When I went upstairs I asked Frank, "Why all of the milk carton bottoms?" He said, as I can remember, I use them for painting. They hold a perfect amount of paint while painting and are easily disposed of. I thought that was a great idea. Consequently, I now cut off the bottom portion of milk cartons and use them for painting. Every time I cut off the bottom portion I think of Frank. Thank you for allowing us into your family. I will miss you, Robert

Marsha said...

Kelly, thank you for the post and photo of my dad. I read it this morning and cried. So sweet, so honest, and so true. I miss Frank so much.

Marsha

Mia's Classroom said...

What a lovely tribute, Kelly.