Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Last Tests of the Semester

I could just say, "sorry, can't come to the blog right now, I am giving exams!" But, I find myself sitting in my classroom having finished the work I brought with me to do while students took the test. So I will just say AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! This is the time of year when things start to get hectic. All the students are panicking because it is their last chance to boost their grade if that is needed. The ones who are doing ok are panicking because they have reached what is usually the most difficult material at this point in the semester. Also, week 14 is the last opportunity to drop.

I have had students all day for two days straight. Normally I would enjoy this, but at this time of the semester they are highly stressed students looking for someone to give their stress to! Also their germs! Note to self--wash hands often! Don't touch face! Use lysol wipes liberally! I love my job!!!!!

(I do have weaving news, but I have to download pictures first.)

1 comment:

Mia's Classroom said...

So. Every couple of weeks, Aunt Barbara calls me for homework help (her grandson Dylan is in 8th grade algebra). She called last night, and, I cannot lie to you, I spent 40 minutes trying to explain *over the phone* how to: solve a system of equations using both elimination and substitution methods. Seriously. Now this can totally be done...except I have to constantly interrupt the explanation of the algebra to explain things like "what it means to define a variable" or why 2.50xA can be written as 2.5A and what it means to distribute across multiplication.

And the explanation involves things like, "I want you to write 2.5A + 1.1 S = 285 and then under that, I want you to write A so it is under the 2.5A and I want you to write S so it is under the 1.1S then line up the equal signs and write 170 under the 285." Except I have to say that, like, 547 times, because she can't picture it?

Eventually, I wrote out in detail what to do, plus how and why for each step, then I scanned it in and emailed it to her.

I think next time, I'll just give her your number.