Saturday, May 22, 2010

Soon To Be Master Gardener!

Well, I passed my final! It was 323 questions and took me quite a while to do (it was a take-home). But it felt great to be one of the students sitting at the coffee shop working on schoolwork!

I also turned in my propagation report and although successful propagation wasn't a graduation requirement, I am happy to say that my propagations were largely a success. (Although I came home to find two plants that I took out of their plastic bag tents this morning in serious wilt mode--I am so cranky about this wind!) The ones I used for my report include cuttings, layerings and seeds and I had good luck with all. Such good luck, in fact, that I am anxious to do more seeds for planting of natives in fall. Also, I am planning to attend a propagation group that gets together on the third Sunday of every month in Watsonville. I may yet become a seed starter extraordinaire! Right now, I'm happy that one batch of seeds made it. Alas, the ten sunflowers seem to have been chopped off at the dirt line by slugs, snails, and/or sow bugs. That's ok. I have more seeds. I also have a whole bag of Corey's Slug and Snail DEATH that I have avoided using, but now they have made me MAD!!

All I have left to do before the graduation date is 6 hours in the youth garden. Since finals are soon upon us, I have a day or two that I am planning to use for this in the next two weeks. I haven't totalled my volunteer hours, but I am on my way to the 50 needed before December 31. It won't be difficult to fulfill this between the work on the garden tour/plant sale and the Community Garden at the adult school. I will officially become a Master Gardener once all the hours are completed.

Two weeks from today I will officially be a Master Gardener Intern. Funny...I have learned a lot, but I've come to the conclusion that gardening is not something that one really masters!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sunday looks as though the weather is nice for gardening. EE