Friday, July 30, 2010

Clearing Out

Here are a couple of things that have been cleared out from our list of projects. Remember this? El Esposo had started filling in the hole in the flooring with the recycled boards from The Aunt's room. It was an albatross around his neck. A rare example of a project that was beyond his abilities (and tool box!).
So a few weeks ago he called our favorite surfer-floor-guy and got an estimate for him to finish the job. It turns out it would be easier to take it up and reinstall than to fill in the gap. So that is what they did. Unfortunately, the wood from The Aunt's room turned out to be a different, darker wood (not just a darker stain, as we had thought). So it was redone with new boards alternated with the old.

Next it will be sanded and refinished. I am a little worried about that part since I know that construction professionals like to make everything look beautiful and new and I want it to still look like a floor that belongs in an old house. We will be looking at some finish samples and I will keep you posted!

The other project that was cleared from the decks was in the front yard. I started it a couple weeks ago--removing the vinca from under the oak. Yesterday EE finished clearing it out. I looks great. I had already planted some screen plants and now I will reassess and plant more. There is a cyclone fence separating the front and back yards there and we will be adding evergreen plants for a screen. There are two lotus trees that are an effective screen from spring through fall, but in winter it is a clear view into the back yard. A few toyon to add to the prunus ilicifolia that I have already planted, and maybe another wax myrtle to join the one that I planted two years ago...
Here you can see how open it is. The sidewalk is up higher so the view from there is better screened by the trees you see here. Still, I am anxious to start thinking about this new space to plant in!

2 comments:

Mia's Classroom said...

Moose is just like my dad...he can do anything! Well, with one major difference...Moose actually DOES 'em! haha! We love checking projects off the list. :)

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Looks like I'm going to have to come down for a visit soon to see all those finished projects.