Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cake

I made apple cake again last night.

I used one of the recipes in my grandma Ely's recipe box. Easy Apple Cake is what it is called. The first time I made it I doubled the recipe, used apples that were cut bigger than the recipe called for and added a few extra apples for good measure. Then I discovered that there wasn't enough batter for two cake pans. So I transferred it all to one cake pan. It almost overflowed the pan as it baked. It also got very brown and I had to cover it with foil to keep it from burning. I sent it to work with El Esposo and it got rave reviews. I made the same recipe last night, but one "one and a halved" it since I didn't want it to overflow. Besides, we only had enough sugar for that much. You can't "one and a half" an egg, so I used two. The resulting cake is good, but much more cakey and not as gooey looking. We have lots more apples (9 trees total!) so I can experiment!

Speaking of cake experiments--I have only made layer cake from scratch once. What a waste--box cake was way better. But I saw this story about making a wedding cake and it has a couple of recipes at the end. Not planning to make any wedding cakes (!) but I am intrigued by the recipes. Hmmm. Maybe one of these days I will have to try layer cake from scratch again.

4 comments:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Kelly, and you live in the same house as Aunt Betty? You know what a recipe follower she is. I know, she wasn't home at the time, right?

Carol said...

Are you nuts! It was 106 in San Jose.It had to be warm even in Salinas.

Kelly said...

I sat and peeled apples after work in front of the open window while watching a movie. By the time the apples were peeled, it was after 8:30 and we were cool. It was kind of a late night, but the apples were taking over the kitchen and something had to be done!

Right Aunt Pat, Aunt Betty was not home!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, It's about time you...