Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Breaks and Vacations

I bitched all last week (and **everyone** had to listen to me) that my spring break was being ruined by the required work trip to DC. Working. During my (unpaid) spring break. Yeah, I'm not bitter anymore (!) I'm home now and I did manage to enjoy myself once I got on the plane and got going. Anticipation/worry about getting ready for a trip can sometimes make me forget that all trips have the potential to be fun. A paid flight to DC, paid food, paid hotel room (at a nice hotel), some (very little this year) opportunity to see the sights; it doesn't quite equal a week off of work, but the balance actually comes out pretty good. The one thing I did was take a walk to the National Zoo. It was between 5 and 6 so most of the animals were not to be seen. Put away for the night, I think. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but it was a nice place for a walk. I love that it is free!

My oldest niece (the San Diego niece) is having her first adult vacation. She is calling it a Me-cation. She is doing some visiting of family, but the trip here and back and what she is doing while she is here is what she wants. Her other trips were for holiday visits and other "requirements." Not that she didn't enjoy them, but I totally understand the allure of a trip that is for the purpose of taking a trip, not for the purpose of getting there.

I didn't take a camera to DC. I took some pictures with my phone but have had trouble sending them to my email so I can get them onto this blog. I do have some pictures from A's me-cation, though. Her trip was more joyful, so I think I will share her pictures!
Here she is on a run to the Santa Barbara Mission. She did 6.5 miles that day, keeping up with her training even though she is on vacation!
Here is the SD niece with her sister, the Central Coast niece, on a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Her facebook album has over 100 pictures of the aquarium inhabitants, including the obligatory orange jellies with blue background! I guess she liked it! :-) It sure makes me smile to think of the times we took them to the aquarium and now they are taking themselves!

This picture has already been posted on the Three Sisters blog since it was taken at g'ma's house. The CC niece, the SD niece and the SF niece, all grown up!

I'm so glad the SD niece is enjoying her me-cation! I might just have to start planning one for myself this summer!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Wow everybody really looks Good. They're all woman now.

Kelly said...

Yes, hard to believe how fast they grew up!

Carol said...

It was great seeing them all together(noisy) but GREAT!!!The parents should be oh sooo PROUD!