Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vacation photos, part 3

Maybe by the time Christmas rolls around, I will have shown you all the summer vacation pictures!  Here are the baseball stadium themed photos from the Seattle trip.  It is a beautiful stadium that is sadly underused by the Seattle fans.  There were probably as many Giants fans as Mariner fans at each of the games. 

The hotel we stayed in was just across the street and it was filled with Giants fans.  Shirts and signs were hung in the windows and after the game, the line for the two elevators was long enough that you could go get a drink in the bar while waiting.

Besides the rolling roof (really cool, but I'm sparing you the video of it closing!) the stadium has a variety of art due to Seattle's public art ordinances.  It also has different food than AT&T.  Beautiful cupcakes and sushi were the most dramatic differences. (Speaking of sushi--soooooo sad to see Ichiro traded :-(  Even though he is near the end of his career and hadn't been doing well, the small crowd of Seattle fans cheered him loudly each time he came up. It feels like the end of an era, and I don't even really follow the Mariners. I reveal myself as not a true and diehard baseball fan when I say I hate that part of the game.  How can a team trade away its most iconic player?  Forget iconic, I had a hard time in 2011 with so many of the 2010 WS Giants having been traded--even those who just joined the team near the end of the season.) 

Take the train to a baseball game!  I highly recommend it.  The only question now is which line to take to Chicago--California Zephyr or Empire Builder?







Beautiful food!


Our window is on the right hand corner of the building.  Top one with open curtains.




The rolling roof.  It sits on something like a train car that moves along a track.



















The roof rolling mechanism from a different angle.

I wonder if they will still sell Ichirolls?

What a catch!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a crowd!!!

Marsha said...

So sad about Ichiro. As you know I don't really follow baseball but I am bummed about Ichiro leaving and especially where he is going. Going to the game Thursday night for the Knit and Pitch with Kim M. She is also participating in an "art bomb" by putting a knitted glove over the baseball glove sculpture in your photo. I'll send pics.