...and here is why!
I was the presenter for the first session on the list for 10:30-11:45. The session went well, although the room was only about a quarter full. No session I attended had more than about 20-25 people in it, and that's about what I had, too, so I don't feel bad.
I arrived in DC on Friday evening and since there was minimal conference
work yesterday I had some time to play. I've been here before (3
times) on conference travel, but haven't ever had the chance to explore
on my own. My tourist tastes are a little different than other people's
so it was fun to go alone. I walked down Connecticut Avenue from the
hotel with one goal in mind--the Botanical Gardens. I accidentally also
found the textile museum, but I skipped over it, thinking I would see
it later (but I didn't--closed on Monday so I won't be able to see it
this time, but I will be back and I know where to find it!) On my way
to the Botanical Gardens, I saw a few other things!
 |
| Loved the look of the Washington Monument against the sky! |
 |
| This is the WWII Memorial |
 |
| Looking down at Lincoln across the Reflecting Pool from the WWII Memorial |
 |
| Look the other way and there is the Washington Monument |
 |
| Again with the WM! I couldn't get enough! The WWII is in between. |
I thought the Botanical Gardens were on the Lincoln Memorial side of things. So I walked that direction (to the right--I think it was West). Since I didn't see this before, I stopped to take a look.
 |
| Horrible picture, but proves I was there! |
 |
| That sky! The view! |
 |
| Do I always look this cross-eyed? Yikes! |
After finding a map, I discovered that the gardens were back the other way...past the WM. So I walked around the back of Lincoln and there was water! And stairs. And people running the stairs like in a stadium. In fact, there were runners everywhere!
 |
| This is one of 4 statues at the end of the bridge |
I then walked back toward the Botanical Gardens and came across the new MLK, Jr. Memorial. Very powerful! Lots of quotes all around and a gorgeous view of the tidal basin.
 |
| MLK, Jr. Memorial is right on the water |
| | | | |
| Notice the WM in case you are wondering about my progress! |
I finally made it to the Botanical Gardens. They were over on the Capitol side of things! But if I had read the map correctly I would have missed Lincoln and MLK, Jr.! Just like at home, it isn't the best time of year for Botanical Gardens, but I totally lost track of time and place while wandering there!
 |
| I want these asters! |
 |
| I like these asters, too. What are they? |
 |
| Hey! Agave in blue pot! Great minds think alike! |
 |
| Inside the conservatory and up on the catwalk |
 |
| Cool plant! |
 |
| Looking outside from the catwalk |
| |
| Here is the conservatory from the park across the street |
That's the end of my pictures, but on the walk back I stopped for brunch at a bookstore/cafe and then checked off my other destination--the yarn shop on Connecticut Avenue! Not sure quite how far I walked. Maybe 8-10 miles? The perfect day! A long walk, plants, books, food, yarn and DC sightseeing!
1 comment:
One day is just not enough! We need to go back again. There is soooo much to see.Glad you were able to get out and about.
Post a Comment