Thursday, January 31, 2013

Yesterday's Best Moments

1.  At the very end of a challenging day a student came into the office.  Lost.  Looking for the IT guy to help him with a computer problem.  It is the second week of classes, he is supposed to be able to log into the classroom computer to do math work.  The login comes from the Social Security number.  He doesn't have one.  Problem is, the IT staff goes home at 5.  Luckily, I have several teachers with lab classes in my contacts.  I called one and got the "secret" login used for guests.  It worked.  He said it made his day!  Even better, another teacher stopped by on her way home and I asked if she knew how to permanently fix his problem.  She did. This kid was over-the-moon happy!  He said he has been coming early to get this problem solved (for two weeks now) because he was afraid to ask in class.  It might seem like what I was able to do for him is small, but these are the obstacles to our students. 

2.  Near the end of my challenging day I was told that the President wants to schedule me to present data showing how the grants have improved our students' success to the board of trustees.  Our Latino students take and succeed in advanced science and math classes at the same rate as the rest of the college--trust me, this is a rare and wonderful thing in the community college world--hell, it's a a wonderful thing that we have collected the data to measure it! It is an even more wonderful thing that we now have a college president who cares about this.

No comments: