Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break in the People's City

I left really early on Monday to spend the day on a plane to DC.  There was a weather advisory when I went online to print my boarding passes.  My flight was not impacted at all from the weather, except that instead of my colleague waiting for me at the airport, I waited for him.  We had separately made travel arrangements and he flew through Denver, while I flew through Phoenix.

It was cold, but not horrible, and by the time we arrived, there was no evidence of snow.

Most of the trip was conference, but thanks to the colleague's wife (an Episcopalian choir director) and her desire to have him experience something of Holy Week, I was able to hear Evensong service at the National Cathedral.  Beautiful!

I have a really difficult time feeling ok about taking pictures inside a church, so even though there were lots of tourists taking pictures, I didn't.  (The picture-taking was occurring in the nave of the cathedral. The service was conducted in the choir area of the cathedral.)  We actually sat in the choir stalls behind the small boys and girls choir, along with about a dozen other people there for the service.)

Here are some photos from outside.  There were a couple small piles of snow still unmelted.










The only other pictures of note are of some "yarn bombs" on Connecticut Ave. outside the yarn shop!  There was knitting tied to trees and bike racks along that block!





The conference was good.  It helps me remember how important the work I am doing is.  The collective work of these grants has and is changing the demographics of the country's educated class. 

Glad to be home and to get at least a day off on Monday to enjoy spring break.

1 comment:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Isn't it a beautiful church? How lucky you were to be able to experience a service there.
HAPPY EASTER!