If you read the Three Sisters blog, you will recall that there is a wedding coming up! The Bride and Groom were recently taste-testing the barbecue for the big event. Meanwhile, preparations here at the wedding garden are moving along!
The retaining wall is finished and we have put some of the plants in that bed.
This meadow is on the back side of a native plant bed that we call the "Dog Bone," because of its shape. It is outlined with cobblestones from the streets of SF. We moved the cobblestones from our previous house and this was the first defined planting area in the yard when we first bought the house. (Does anyone remember when this area was a huge ivy hedge?) So, looking from the lawn side, the native plant bed is looking good. I love the sagey way it smells, especially in the early morning. Some variation of the next two photos have been on this blog several times.
Stepping back a little, the bed we started last year under the Japanese magnolia is thriving.
And now, a little destruction for your viewing pleasure. Bride, don't get nervous!
Although the front half of the lawn area is looking fine, the back half was all weeds. El Esposo rented a sod cutter and cut out the top layer. But not before he rented a trencher and laid a conduit for electricity out to the well house. The electricity is a long term project. The lawn repair is one specifically for the wedding. We couldn't haul the weedy turf away this weekend since the transfer station is closed. Hard to believe that what is essentially the dumps for us is closed on the weekend, but times have changed...
Instead of removing the debris, we used the trailer to haul in two loads of wood chip mulch for the furthest area of the yard where we have the fruit trees. We aren't going to plant lawn between them--too hard to mow and keep weeded. Eventually, (but not before the wedding) there may be some day lily beds between the fruit trees. But for now, a layer of wood chip mulch will improve the soil, hold in the moisture, and make the whole area look much neater. Unfortunately, it is also covering up the dirt that is needed for native bees to nest in. I plan to always have some areas in the yard that are bare of mulch, so the bees will still have some nesting habitat in the yard.
I wish there was time before the wedding for the chips to weather a bit more. I prefer that to the "new" look that they have now. But, I guess I can't have everything!
The next picture shows the orchard area from the side. Our back fence is on my left. All the trees had a dose of compost covered with newspaper before the mulch was applied. The thick layer of newspaper will provide me with a little break from the most vigorous weeds that will eventually pop up through the mulch. It will also provide a little more nutrition as it breaks down over the winter.
Things are definitely shaping up! The lawn planting got delayed, but it should be planted by the end of the week. It will have about 5 weeks to get itself looking green! It won't be established, but it should make a good backdrop for the big day.
Today I will be giving out doses of the plant version of 5 Hour (Week) Energy drink! Sometimes the health food needs a little boost!
Hope you enjoyed the update! Better get to work now!











4 comments:
This blog makes all those tasks look easy:-). I have been watching the daily process and I'm exhausted!! I can't imagine how R and K's muscles must be screaming. Good Job guys!!!
I also ran electrical conduit passed/behind the well house to the future location of Kel's greenhouse. The greenhouse will be located in the back, left side of the orchard (just to the right of the veggie garden). EE
The bonus of wedding preparations is that you get closer to the things you have been wanting to do all along!
I remember IVY!!! UGH UGLY....
Post a Comment