Monday, December 2, 2013

Sourdough Starter Experiment, Love It #12

I have wanted to make sourdough starter for a long time.

Like many other things on my "I'd like to..." list, it seemed that it would require a long-term commitment.  Things that require a long-term commitment have a high potential for failure.  I don't like to feel that I lacked the discipline or commitment or follow-through to accomplish something. It seemed like I might just be setting myself up for self-criticism.

Wow!  Really?  Not tackling sourdough starter because of fear of failure or feeling not disciplined enough?  That sounds like a reason for some therapy! 

Well, the underlying mental health issues haven't necessarily been addressed ;-) but I did finally decide to make starter!  The "problem" with is was that you have to feed it regularly and when you feed it, it grows so you have to use it to bake.  Or so I first thought.  Then I realized... I don't have to bake with it every time I feed it!  I could compost it or give it to the worms!    Revelation!!!



So, I started by buying a sourdough crock and a bread thermometer.  The crock is for holding the starter (yes, I could have used a jar, but I have always liked these crocks) and the thermometer is for the bread baking.  I used to have a thermometer that allowed me to make sure I had the best temperature for the yeast.  I have been using it to monitor the temperature of the starter (totally not necessary, but a fun).  I am keeping it warm on the top of the gas stove which stays warm due to the pilot light.

Today is day 2 of the starter.  Not much is happening.  It has grown in size and is starting to smell yeasty, but there is no bubbling yet.

I have been using the directions from this website.  Looking forward to some great sourdough bread!

No comments: