Monday, January 11, 2016

Well, Hello There!

2015 was a great year for me! I wasn't sure if I would keep this blog or not, and I don't know if there is anyone still checking in here, but I may just start posting here more regularly.  Not making any promises...but I have missed it.  Show notes for the podcast are not quite the same.  That work is for a very specific audience of fiber folks.  This is more free form.  Public, sure, but in a different way.

So, what happened in 2015?  I was able to leave a job that wasn't making me happy and I returned to teaching full time.  However, it took quite awhile to shed the responsibilities of the grant work.  My "replacement" wasn't hired until late March and then there was some transition time.  But by the time summer came, I was off to Washington, DC for a Fellowship with the USDA, then several camping trips, and the break from the old job was cleanly made!  It was good to get away so completely.  No one could turn to me for assistance, and more importantly, I was mentally able to step away and give up ownership of several ongoing projects. 

The year also saw the Two Ewes Fiber Adventures podcast grow and become a regular part of my life.  I am really enjoying being a podcaster and all the technical learning that has come with it.  I also really like the partnership with Marsha on this project.  It has been really fun to work together on it.

One other fabulous thing about 2015 was the addition of bees to the yard (finally!).  I think I got the first hive equipment in 2010, and then I got more equipment in 2012.  But it took until this past year to finally order packages and become a beekeeper.  I had put in so many hours of reading and "book learning," but nothing prepared me for the actual experience of working with the bees.  It was so hard in many ways, but also really enjoyable.

So, with such a great year behind me, I am looking forward into 2016.  What do I see?  Well, I see more walking and more gardening in 2016.  Knitting, spinning, and weaving are great, but they are sedentary.  Balancing so many things that I like is a great problem to have and one that I will tackle in 2016.  The previous year was about balancing work with fun.  This year will be about balancing all the different types of fun! 

No comments: