So I am sitting here feeling really blah and trying to decide what to do today. I would sit and read, but I don't currently have something riveting. I read T is for Trespass so fast I didn't even have time to list it on the blog reading list! A friend got it (hard cover) for $0.50 at a thrift store and I am now ready to pass on the good fortune. I worked on windows yesterday, and I will probably do some of that today, too, but with this head cold I don't really feel like it. Knitting with a foggy head is probably not a good idea either.
Here are pictures of the latest episode of the window project. We took out our first double hung sash window.
Once it was out, I took of the cover of the pockets to see the sash weights. The windows are tied to a cord that has weights at the end and the cords go over pulleys. That is how the windows raise and lower. Very interesting! I had read in the window book, but until I actually took one apart, it was not totally clear to me how they worked.The cords are in good shape so I don't think I will mess with them on this window. Here are two pictures of the weight in the pocket (inside the wall next to the window). In the second picture you can see the plaster that the wall is made of squishing through the lathe.
The bathroom windows are some of the few windows in the house that look to have more than one coat of paint. There is a layer of pinkish purple under the beige and then a layer of green under that. I think I will paint the window sashes and molding purple again when I repaint the bathroom. I am so amazed at the color that was used in the thirties. People think it is new and trendy to use strong color, but I guess that is not so!
No comments:
Post a Comment