Thursday, October 23, 2008

Inspiration

Niece #1 posted about inspiration and mentioned the poem "The Lost Chord." I was curious about it (since she said it was in a book from her aunt and I didn't recall it) so I googled it and found that it was a poem by Adelaide Ann Proctor and made into a song by Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan). Here is an animated video of it being sung by Clara Butt in London in the 1930s. There was another without the animation but with pictures of Clara but it didn't allow for embedding into my webpage, so I used this version. There are many videos of this song! Wow, youtube is very powerful! And I guess this song is more famous than I knew.


I am not feeling much inspiration to write either. But I am feeling inspiration to be creative in other ways. Weaving is going great and the knitting is coming along, too. Mostly I am inspired to have some finished work. I think that midterms do this to me. The desire to finish something when there is all this student chaos and stress around me. Also the house project is contributing to the chaos a little. So to exert some control over the uncontrollable world, I make stuff and finish stuff.

As for my niece, I wish her inspiration!
And for fun... What inspires you? Take a look at the list over at Alayna's blog for the post that started my thinking
Let us know at least two things that inspire you. Put it in the comments to this blog. Here are a couple of mine:
Music--Alison Krauss and Union Station. This music is calm in the storm for me. I always go back to it when I need to have soothing music to get me back to the center.
Artistic Inspiration--I like reading the fiber blogs that I have posted here and others that are linked to them. There are so many inspiring and creative ideas. Also some very beautiful photos.
Nature--I take a walk (or today a drive) and I pay attention to nature. Right now the leaves are changing and that was an artistic inspiration for a blanket. The valley was beautiful today as I drove down it early this morning. The agricultural fields are still very colorful--green, red, white mist from sprinklers, etc.

6 comments:

Betty said...

My inspirational Music that removes all stress from my being and soothes my soul is played by Andre Rieu.

I wish I could find something to inspire me to finish projects. Watching Kelly has inspired me to get some things done so I guess I would have to say she (and her quest) are giving me the nudge I need. Also Christmas less than 65 days!

Aunt Betty

Anonymous said...

ok so I definitely like the poem sooo much better than the song!! you gave the book a long long time ago to me when you guys were in the old house and I was in high school I think. yep, the song not inspiring, haha. Glad the post made you think hopefully I start creating something soon :)

Anonymous said...

Cold, winter breezes throughout the house inspire me... DH

Anonymous said...

Sunshine!!!my inspiration.CAW

Kelly said...

I'm glad El Esposo is inspired! Another winter with a window out would be bad enough, but now it is two windows out and winter fast approaching. Inspiration or fear? Doesn't matter, I'm just glad he is cleaning up after me! And I wanted to have more windows out at the same time! Silly me. Glad one of us is conscientious about finishing things.

Anonymous said...

Fall colors are my favorite and a sis who is crafty is nice too since I am not! Loved the blanket and will send you a pic of how well it goes in my new home. Inspirational music is always Josh Grobin for me and Daughter 1 but my new fav is Adele. Chasing Pavements is her latest on the radio and you my dearest sis should take heade and make sure you are smelling roses and noticicing red, orange, yellow leaves!! (Or feeling fab fibers) Love you! Fav Sis