That name is so familiar. Why, I thought. Why do I know that name. Then it dawned on me. 4H camp. A little girl who was like my shadow the year I was camp director. She wrote to me after the summer camp was over and sent me her school picture. I think I still have it somewhere. I can picture it very clearly, so I think I must have run across it sometime in the recent past in stuff I saved.
Is she the same person as the one writing all the cockatiel information? Don't know. But what are the chances of another Mary Beth Voelker? I wonder if she would remember me? I can't remember how old I was when I was camp director. Maybe eighth grade or ninth grade? I ended up being camp director with an older guy named Brian because none of the other 4hers who were going to that session were interested. I think I was younger than the camp directors usually are. I also remember that Brian and I had to send a couple of campers home--girls sneaking into boys camp. We had a hearing and had to decide what to do. It was hard to give out that punishment, but we did it. Where were the adults? Well 4H camp had adults as back up but is was run be 4H member camp directors and counselors. We were given all the responsibility and the adults really stayed in the background. Wow--I haven't thought about this in years!
What a small world if the cockatiel Mary Beth Voelker is the 4H camp Mary Beth Voelker!
No comments:
Post a Comment