Friday, January 23, 2009

Food!!


We have been having some great food lately, courtesy of the Aunt! Lots of meals that are new along with the great old standbys. Among the notables, lentil stew from an NPR story and last night Pozole (a Mexican soup) that came from an article in the newspaper. I had Pozole for the first time at a fund raiser at school. The students made it and sold it. They used garbanzo beans instead of hominy. I have also had it at a restaurant and at a Spanish class party where one of the condiments was a "blow your head off" salsa! This is one of my favorite Mexican foods. (The picture came from the blog Josh and Amy--Life in Mexico. Check out this blog. I found it by accident, but it is interesting)
Here it is:
Las Comadres Pozole Soup by Petra Martinez
4 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed and cut in 1.5 inch cubes (ours had less than 2 lbs and it was lean pork, 4lbs would make LOTS of soup! The soup, when I have had it elsewhere, is mostly broth with a few of pieces of meat in the bowl only. There needs to be lots of broth to leave room for the condiments that you add to the bowl.)
1 chopped white onion
4 peeled garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. salt (to taste)
2 lbs hominy (there is also a quick Pozole recipe on the side of the can of hominy)
2 dried Calif. chiles
2 dried Pastilla chiles
2 dried New Mexico chiles

Condiment Ingredients
shredded cabbage, thinly sliced radishes, dried oregano, dried pepper flakes, lemon or lime wedges

Put the pork in a large pot over high heat and cover with water. (More water makes more soup! This is food that can stretch for however many people you need to feed!) Add the onion garlic and salt and boil until tender. While the pork is cooking, wash and remove stems (seeds, too, if you want a milder soup) from the dried chiles. Put into a saucepan and add just enough water to cover.
Bring chilies to a boil, turn off and let set for 20 minutes. When soft, remove from water, reserving liquid. Put chiles in food processer or blender with enough of the cooking water to process, and blend until smooth. You can also blend in the garlic that cooked with the pork or leave them in the soup whole. Add chile sauce and hominy to the pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.
Serve topped with condiments of your choice. I think cabbage and lemon or lime are essential!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea ro use garbanzo beans.

J

Kelly said...

Yes, it was great with Garbanzo beans! In fact that was the first time I had it and I thought, "I didn't know they ate GBs in Mexico."

Anonymous said...

I brought some of the pozole to work and my co-workers (son mexicanos) thought it was !muy bueno! I forgot to bring the lemon but they had some lemons. DH

Anonymous said...

Oh! My "Johne Deere" rain gauge registered 1.2 inches for the last two days of rain. DH

Anonymous said...

I am eating Pozole for lunch today, yum! My friend Rebeca is Mexican and she told her mom that I wanted to make/try pozole and so she made some for me! Yay :)