Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fiber Art Quotes

“The only faith that wears well and holds its color in all weathers, is that which is woven of conviction and set with the sharp mordant of experience”
--Abraham Lincoln

“Don't stand by the water and long for fish; go home and weave a net”'
--Chinese Proverb

“What reason weaves, by passion is undone.”
--Alexander Pope

A #6 aluminum needle has been known to furnish an excellent emergency shearpin for an outboard motor.
--Elizabeth Zimmerman

Woman has relied heretofore too entirely for her support on the needle - that one-eyed demon of destruction that slays thousands annually; that evil genius of our sex, which, in spite of all our devotion, will never make us healthy, wealthy, or wise.
--Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I'm so happy that in today's world I can be a feminist AND a "needle" artist. Then again, I don't rely entirely for my support on the needle. Thank goodness!


Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either.
--Elizabeth Zimmerman

"No longer shall I paint interiors with men reading and women knitting. I will paint living people who breathe and feel and suffer and love."
--Edvard Munch

Hey, wait a minute!!! Although maybe he does have somewhat of a point. Women knitting and weaving rarely feel like this...Unless their knitting pattern has errors they don't know about ;-)


I think this might be the best of all I found...

"Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage. "
--Elizabeth Zimmerman


Here's to all the women of superior intelligence who have taken up the noble crafts of making things from string. (My mathematician self calls it applied topology!)

1 comment:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

I think the painter used me as a model. The figure looks like she's saying,"Oh no, I'll take a walk instead."