Friday, March 27, 2009

Garden Show

Well, I missed the Garden Show this year...
I guess that is ok since I really need to be home DOING the gardening rather than thinking up new ideas from the show! Seems as though there had been something going on every weekend and then I got sick. (Maybe that has something to do with why!) But, never fear! In this world of blogging I got to see the highlights. The Town Mouse Country Mouse blog on the list at right has a couple of posts about the show. And their blog led me to this post at Dry Stone Gardeners blog. I love the dry stack stone wall! Click on the picture on the blog to enlarge it and see it more clearly.

El Esposo wants to do one in our yard. We even have the stone already (it's been stacked by the entrance to the backyard on pallets for almost two years now...) I think the stone wall here is the nicest I have seen because it is different. It is stacked at an angle. It actually looks easier than the onces that are stacked vertically. All except the arch that is! I don't need one of those! But I really like the look of the slanted wall. One of the advantages of dry stack over a mortared wall is that the little crevices are habitat. Lizards, salamanders, bugs, mice (oh, wait, no! EE, don't worry, I'm sure mice would never nest in the crevices. They hate stone walls. I'm sure of it. Read it on wickipedia, really! The wall will only provide habitat for the creatures on your "approved" list!)

I have added the Dry Stone Garden blog to my blog list so that I can read it more often. It has lots of great pictures--most recently from the garden show, but also of other gardens and plants. (For example the semi-rant about making hedges out of plants that would otherwise have beautiful shape. Using native plants, great. Hedging them, not so much!)

And speaking of Garden Shows, it is almost time for the Going Native Garden Tour. It is April 19th and I don't want to miss this one. Last year I was just starting to think about using native plants and the tour was great, but I hardly knew what I was looking at. I spent all summer reading and investigating and looking at plants at nurseries so now I think I will get even more out of seeing what people have done with native plants in their suburban yards.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Found another link with some really pretty dry stone work.

http://www.stoneinspired.com/project-stenhousemuir/projects_stenhousemuir_retaining_wall.php

Anonymous said...

I really like dry stacked stone walls, too. Even the pallets of stone are providing habitat. But, I do agree the stones would look much nicer configured in the shape of a wall and patio. It's on my To-Do list. EE

ryan said...

Thanks for the link. I thought the garden show wall was great. I'm intending to post a few more photos of it with some links to other walls in that style.

Anonymous said...

I missed it also and didn't really think about it until you mentioned it. D wants to put a dry stack in our front so I will show him the site when he gets home.Snow in Snowflake!