Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Big News in Washington

A vegetable garden, bees, and now a Portuguese water dog named Bo. Lots of buzz in DC these days!

I read on the Dry Stone Blog that "Big Industrial Agriculture" is upset with with the organic nature of the garden. Oh Please!!!!!! If you haven't already read the letter to Michelle Obama about how they should be promoting "conventional agriculture" because modern people are too busy to do organic gardening, you can see an article here. Equal time for pesticides...Now that is an interesting concept. But I guess if "Big Ag" is worried it means that progress is being made. Maybe the pesticide, fertilizer and engineered seed companies will make smaller profits this year. It won't be because of the downturn of the economy. It will be due to the first family's organic vegetable garden. Yeah, right.

The Obama Foodorama website in the link of the week is worth a look. It has multiple blog posts each day and they are very long, but there are some interesting food posts and some that are just plain silly! There is one about presidential peeps here if you haven't had enough of peeps! If you go to the "link of the week" at right of my blog and scroll around through recent posts there are some with recipes, some amazing art done with cupcakes and jelly beans and most recently a discussion about dog food for the first dog! (Cute pictures of him, too!)

You can also see a picture of the bee hives fenced off so egg hunters wouldn't get to close. The hives are on platforms so that the bees are above people level when they come out of the hive. I have read that it is good to have shrubbery or a fence at the hive entrance to make the bees fly up as soon as they come out of the hive so they are out of the way. I hadn't thought of just putting the hives up higher. Good idea, although it would make it harder for a short person to inspect the hives or harvest honey.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're correct Kelly! The President's bee hive is too tall. We couldn't have it that tall, for one, the neighbors would see and I'd be afraid that they wouldn't like it too much. Secondly, you'd need a ladder.... EE

Kelly said...

In the letter to Michelle Obama:
"Fresh foods grown conventionally are wholesome and flavorful yet more economical." (more economical than what?)

In an email to their group:
"While a garden is a great idea, the thought of it being organic made [us] shudder."

What they urged Michelle Obama to use:
"crop protection products"

To see more about this:
http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/2009/04/obamas-giving-organic-some-longoverdue-cred.html

Betty said...

Organic isn't always pretty but at least you don't have to worry about how the veggies will effect you. I heard so many warnings about pesticides used on grapes (many dogs died from their owners sharing grapes with them) that I was afraid to eat them. Now that should make them shudder!! Oh and I think bees at eye level are a must.

Mia's Classroom said...

I think it's true what they say... taking control of your food production is one of the most revolutionary acts we can do. *shudder* indeed.