Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Reading

I FINALLY got Twilight from the library. I had been trying to get it, but it was always checked out. So I got smart and put a hold on it. It took a few weeks, but I picked it up yesterday and started it last night. So far it is fun reading. It is set in Forks, which I have seen. In fact, I have hours of video tape of the Olympic Peninsula from a camping trip my Seattle friend and I did in the early 90s. On that video is a shot of the Thriftway marquee advertising Aloha Days! The sky is deep gray, the air is liquid, everything is damp and cold and the Thriftway Grocery marquee is advertising Aloha Days! Inside all the employees wore Hawaiian shirts and plastic leis. On that same video tape we have acres of clear cut forest along with depressed looking houses with signs that say "A logger's family lives here." I think I was into irony in those days!

I am also working on two projects which I will show shortly--the vegetable garden and a baby blanket for an engineer who works with EE. The veggies are late, but so is the Central Coast summer. The engineer just helped one of my students land an engineering internship. She is having a boy and the blanket is blue and green superwash.

Just now, I am off to the gym with El Esposo. This is week 3 of his healthy wife program! I really like weight lifting and I'm glad to be back at it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have committed her to 3 days a week of going to the Y. Actually, it has been good for both of us. I think she needs an outlet from that damn college. EE

Carol said...

AMEN!!!