Thursday, July 23, 2009

More Vicarious Experiences!

It has been really fun watching my three nieces grow up. I had a great time with them when they were small, but I always was looking forward to watching them turn into adults.

Watching them has made my memories come clearer and cycle to the front of the stack--like old photos you haven't seen in awhile that suddenly turn up in an odd location as you are cleaning. I got to relive seeing my future alma mater for the first time when I went with Niece A. for her campus visit. She and I sometimes talk about books in a way that I love--she and my English professor friend are two people who really talk about literature the way we did in college! My memories of the challenges of living on my own at college came front and center when I got the emails from Niece S. about her broken wrist during her first year. More pleasant memories of college winters (first snowfall for a California girl!) swirled in my mind from her descriptions of the winter in Indiana! Niece T. is now in DC on an internship and she reminds me of all the scary-fun new experiences of being in college. Being intimidated by students with "fancier" educational and family backgrounds than mine, but realizing that it didn't matter--I could hold my own.

What fun to get to travel back in time through them--but only to the good parts! I hope they don't mind me tagging along! Hopefully they are so busy with their experiences, they don't even notice me there ;-)

Now, after all that philosophizing... Pictures from the intern! She took a side trip from DC to NYC. I told her that if she sent me some pics I would give her "fifteen minutes of fame" on the blog again! I'm glad she humors me!
These two are Central Park. The next two are St. Patrick's Cathedral.
And last, a picture of the subway.

I'm sure they had a great time! Thanks T. for sharing your trip!

2 comments:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Thanks T for the pics. I'm glad you're enjoying your summer, what an experience. I especially loved the Subway photo. Maybe you could get one for me of the entrance to the Subway in DC. The last time we were there, I forgot until the last minute, it was night time, and didn't turn out. Wherever I go, I LOVE THE METRO, how about you.

Carol said...

Not only do we get pics but first class photography at that.I am so glad you are having such a great summer and it ian't over yet.