Thursday, September 10, 2009

A few good books and one DISTURBING one

Here are a few of the books I read (or listened to) recently and highly recommend:
The Help, Kathryn Stockett
About the south in the 60s. Written from the perspective of white women and from the perspective of their maids. Excellent!

Broken for You Stephanie Kallos and Singing Them Home, same author.
I loved both of these books. You have to be willing to suspend disbelief and enjoy something a little magical (especially for the second one), but both are captivating, good stories.

Bel Canto, Ann Patchett
About a hostage situation in an un-named South American country. The hostages and captors develop relationships during the months long stand-off. I didn't know if I would enjoy this, but I really did.

Loving Frank, Nancy Horan
This is about the love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney. It is based on fact, but has been clothed with fictional details where no facts were known. Interesting look at the life of artists/free spirits in the early 1900s. Stunning ending (if you don't already know the history).

Geek Love, Katherine Dunn
This book is seriously disturbing. About a family of "circus freaks." Father is the ringmaster and he "created" the people in the acts by experimenting with his wife's pregnancies. The characters are difficult to like, but I have to keep reading. The book has created the same feeling that the "circus freak shows" were based on... not wanting to look, but not being able to stop looking. I keep reading even though I am horrified. I think that must mean it is good, but it would be hard to describe it as good. Compelling and horrifying are two words I would use.

No comments: