Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What Happened to the Fiber Arts?

I remember when I started this blog, many of my post had to do with what I was knitting, spinning or weaving. I used it to list the projects that were started but not finished, started but stalled, started and never going to be finished, and occasionally I posted a proud picture of a finished object. What happened to that?

Well, my most recent project was a present so I was keeping it under wraps. But now it has gone to its home and I can show it off.
This is the lace blanket called Girasole from the website Brooklyn Tweed. I loved this when I saw the pattern and then I realized I knew someone who liked doilies and this giant doily of a blanket would be great. It was a really fun lace pattern that went faster than I thought. I used lots of stitch markers to catch mistakes and had very minimal un-knitting to do. (Although why I took this picture from the angle that shows the one mistake I didn't catch, I don't know! Oh well...). I used Cascade 220 Superwash and it blocked to the 72 inches it was supposed to. The picture shows it spread out for blocking on a pale green sheet. Good contrast for viewing the lace.

I really like the patterns on his website and now there is a book whose patterns are also available individually for download. Hmmm...

The other knitting that I am working on now is the Heroine Jacket. I have the back, both fronts and one sleeve done. One more sleeve to go and then it gets put together and felted. Can't wait. It is knitting up fast since it is just plain stockinette and it is done with two strands.

Also on the needles are a pair of socks that I started in April but haven't worked on in awhile.

On the loom at school I have a sakori style vest* that is sleyed and tied on, but winding will have to be done tomorrow when I have help. It is a Japanese influence assignment and I am using cotton/rayon yarn for warp and weft. The warp also has a stripe of indigo dyed, handspun silk or cotton/silk that I found in the weaving classroom stash. I don't think it was one of mine. Anyway, the weft yarn is a commercially spun cotton/rayon in brown and blue variegated and the warp alternates between a beige cotton/rayon and a beige cotton. I am using up my stash!!! These are yarns that I bought before I even was a weaver! One I had partially used on one of my first projects. The other has never been used. (Nine years on the shelf waiting for a project! This is so exciting!!) I will try to remember to bring my camera for in progress pics. My phone just doesn't take good pictures in the weaving classroom.

So, there is fiber stuff going on again in the blog! And in honor of that I changed my banner picture from the garden to knitting. Winter is coming...

* Here is a picture I stole from Ravelry of someone's knitted Sakori vest from Nancy Bush's pattern book Folk Vests. It is a rectangular piece of fabric with rectangular pieces to make the side.

4 comments:

Mia's Classroom said...

Oh my gosh! It's beautiful! I can't wait until it gets here!!! Wait. What? Oh. Well. I'm sure they'll love it too. *cough*

Mia's Classroom said...

I think you and Moose need another hobby! How wonderful would this be?
http://www.fiberfarm.com/2009/09/a-mighty-big-giveaway

Anonymous said...

The giant work of art is much loved and will always have a place of honor!

Kelly said...

Oh Mia, you have no idea how much I want one of those!!(Angora goat for those who didn't go to the link) That picture is the cutest thing. I really want one. But your cousin is having none of it. He is FIRM on the no goats rule. :-(