Friday, September 4, 2009

I Love Science!

I love how scientists have a question and then they think up an experiment to figure out the answer to the question. And when I read a good article about the experiment (by good, I mean one that actually tells what happened instead of giving a 10 second sound bite like "study finds coffee is good for you," "study finds coffee is bad for you," etc. When you hear of conflicting experimental results it is usually because the experiments were different in important ways that dont get reported.--End of Rant. Back to my post). And when I read a good article about the experiment I try to imagine what they were thinking as they designed the experiment. What WERE they thinking????

This story from NPR called "Babies and Dogs Make the Same Classic Mistake" is one of the good ones. Very interesting results, plus some very interesting thinking from the scientists in order to design the original experiment and the revised version. If you click on the link you can read the story or hear it. I like to read them, hmmm that would make an interesting study...are what is it that makes one person read the story and another listen to it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I click on the "listen" button, but I guess you already knew that. EE

Kelly said...

I should take a survey! I'd bet that younger people mostly would choose to listen or watch a video. How would we old people be split, I wonder?? Ha! Science in action!