Friday, October 16, 2009

Chickadee-dee-dee

We have chickadees!

I have been hoping to have some of what I call "interesting" birds in the yard. When we went to the Birds and Bees workshop that morning before the Stanford game, we learned of a way to attract more birds to the water in your yard. Multiple levels of water and multiple substrates for them to stand on were things that were suggested. If you look in the new banner photograph you'll see how we did this with plant saucers around an existing bird bath. It was amazing how much more attractive that made the bath. It was almost immediate. Birds used it before, but now it becomes like a bath party at times!

I don't have a feeder in that area. Just the the bath and the plants. It attracts a whole different array of birds than the feeder and birdbath area near the kitchen. But lately, even in the feeder area we have had a little variety. First I noticed the white crowned sparrows had joined in at the front feeder. They usually stayed in the back near the sage plants feeding on the ground. Then, just last weekend, I noticed a chickadee. Yesterday I saw there were two of them! I am very excited about this!

2 comments:

Betty said...

I love this area of the yard!

Mia's Classroom said...

I agree with Betty; that picture is spectacular! We had the waterfall and pond put in, and I am always happily amazed at the number and variety of birds that use the waterfall as a shower...it's so cute! They go in at different levels of the falls for drinking, bathing, and sometimes even just scampering. But, no chickadees...I'm jealous!