Saturday, October 17, 2009

Native Plant Sale!

Don't you love a good sale? Ha ha! I am NOT a very good shopper, but I have been looking forward to today's sale for weeks! What will I buy? El Esposo says, "make a list," but my style is more to buy interesting plants that I have been reading about (or haven't!) and find a place for them when I start planting. Lucky for me the size of the yard and the preparation that has been done so far, will accommodate my style!

We're finally at a place where I feel comfortable planting in a few different areas. When we first moved in there was mostly ivy. Once a lot of the ivy was gone, there was still so much to do that I knew I had to plant in a small number of plots so I could remember to water and tend the new plants. There were some plants that I knew I would eventually move, (like the hummingbird sage) but I wanted to get them going so I planted where I knew they would be cared for. I had a few casualties when I strayed from the main areas and totally forgot I had planted in an out of the way or new area. But now we have quite a few areas established and needing to be filled in. So off I go to the CNPS native plant sale! My only dilemma--do I trust that all the coyote bush and monkey flower I propagated will work, or do I buy some as an insurance policy?

Pictures to follow..... I promise......

No comments: