Saturday, December 26, 2009

Shocking Boxing Day Discovery!!!

So, it's Boxing Day and I thought I would clean out and organize the pantry cupboard since it was getting a little out of control. I wasn't sure how to organize it when we moved in four years ago, and it just got worse as the months went by.

Look what I found! I am aghast!!!!!
Did you know there are so many forms of sugar? And why bother with sugar substitutes with all this sugar handy? :-) Who would have guessed I'd find all this in the cupboard. (In fact there are a few more sugar sprinkles shakers that I found after I had taken the picture!)

If you don't know me well or have just stopped by the blog a few times you need to know that I got Laurel's Kitchen, The Vegetarian Epicure, The Moosewood Cookbook, and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest as presents when in high school and college. I did my college essay on Diet for A Small Planet. I have been called "a granola" more than a few times in my life. My work friends laugh at my food choices when we go out to Chili's after a walk. (Although they aren't laughing now that they are publishing nutritional information and they found out that a salad they like is over 900 calories :-O That's WITHOUT the dressing! ).

So in order to redeem myself and my cupboard, here is a picture of what else I found there...
Ok, that's more like it. However, I have to say that lately the sugar containers have been getting more use than the whole grains, beans and legumes! I guess that is why New Year's Resolutions were invented!!!

6 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

I think my cupboards might be even worse sugarwise. I love to bake and have just made my famous annual cookie plates.

I was just saying how great it's been today to stay home and eat healthy food today. I'm sugared out!!!

Happy Boxing Day! (I'm secretly very impressed that you had the energy to organize anything today!)

Sue

Kelly said...

Happy Boxing Day to you too! My real plan for today was to get the vegetable garden ready for some winter crops, but rain spoiled those plans! The emptying of the pantry was fun, but the putting back together got tiring. Good thing El Esposo came home to help clean up the mess. He is good at that!

News Flash! I found even more powdered sugar and cookie sprinkles as I finished emptying the pantry!

Mia's Classroom said...

I think it's funny that a) you celebrate Boxing Day and b) you celebrate by inventorying your sugar supplies. haha! I may have to do the same exercise, though I may also need Moose to come over and finish for me. :) Merry Christmas (and Happy Boxing Day) to all of you! xoxo

Marsha said...

Maybe you have all that sugar because you don't use it on a daily basis. Then, when friends from Seattle come to visit for a week with a small boy and we stuff ourselves with yummy homemade ice cream, cookies, and pies with the justification that "we're on vacation", you forget you have it and buy more! Belated happy Boxing Day!

Betty said...

Okay I confess the regular, organic and brown sugar was mine (and your #2 nieces) for Christmas cookie baking. I am also the one who has been eating lentils so I gave them equal time!

chuck b. said...

Too funny! This is me too. I recently found four boxes of confectioners sugar and 3 bags of coconut. But we are *always* out of rice.