Sunday, January 3, 2010

How Time Flies!

Could it be Fava Bean Time again? Why yes, it is! Above you see the cleaned up vegetable garden newly planted in my favorite winter crop, Fava Beans!

I planted them in rows again this year! I have also planted sweet peas along the back fence to climb the trellises left over from the previous owner. These were originally attached to our side fence near the neighbors yard and stood about 5 feet above the height of the fence. She had planted passion vine to climb and it was a good thing it wasn't happy. These trellises wouldn't have withstood the weight! We got rid of the passion vine and have repurposed the trellises. One was the support for a huge political sign on our lawn during a school board election! Now they are propped against the back fence. I checked to make sure it was a section of fence where the posts are sturdy. I don't want my crop of sweet peas to take down the fence!

Also in the picture above are a row of onions in the front. These are the babies from the onions I never harvested last year. I finally harvested them and put the babies back in the ground! I like onions! They make their own replacements! You can also see a marjoram plant that the bees love. I rescued it from where the previous owner had planted it and it is extremely happy here. I rarely use marjoram as an herb, but I love the smell in the garden and I really like to watch all the bees that use it when it is blooming.

On the right of the picture you can see the very edge of an artichoke. I moved all the artichokes out of the flower bed and into the vegetable garden a few months ago. There are three. three others are in pots because I couldn't bear to waste them. Still looking for a home for them and a rhubarb... At the back right you see an ugly red geranium (pelargonium really). I don't know why I transplanted this here. It is a symptom of my sickness. I cannot get rid of plants. I don't like geraniums. Several of them came with the house and this one was truly sad in a shady part of the yard so I moved it to the corner of the vegetable garden where it is way too happy.

The faint green patch in the right front of the picture (in front of the onions) are seedlings from a little white chrysanthemum/daisy type plant. I can't recall the name right now, but I planted them in the vegetable garden because I wanted some flowers in front and I like how these reseed themselves!

The next picture is the reseeded lawn.
So far it is looking pretty good. The far side has come out to be mostly clover and I am hoping that once the rainy season is over, the yarrow and fescue will be more pronounced. In the front of the picture is the side that was planted with more fescue and yarrow and less clover. Mostly the fescue is growing at this point. The fenced in area on the left is going to be planted with shrubs--toyon and silk tassel bush. We went to the Last Chance Mercantile to get dirt to fill it in and once El Esposo finishes the trench for the water line, I will plant them.

So, that's the garden news! Meanwhile I am inside with a horrible cold, watching birds out the window.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cardamom is the spice of 2010. EE

Anonymous said...

Secondly, the water line for the new spigot will be finished early this week. Hopefully, before my day off. EE

Anonymous said...

Thirdly, I'm procrastinating digging the "mother of all trenches..." EE

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Loved the Cardamom Christmas bread!

Kelly said...

Oh, you know how much you love to dig trenches! Hardly a month goes by without you digging for something! Fourthly, you must be really bored at work today! 3 comments already!

Glad you liked the cardamom bread, Aunt Pat. I really like that recipe. I got it from a mystery book called "The Body in the Bog." The book was ok, but the recipe was a real find!

Life Looms Large said...

I can barely read this post because it's been snowing here for 2 straight days, no sun at all.....it's too painful to realize that I could still live in the same county and have a lawn and a garden right now.

(And we didn't even get a huge amount of snow....just an enforced quiet weekend!)

Sue

PS: Sorry about your cold!

PPS: I like this online nagging dimension of your blog!! I'll have to subtly work that into mine sometime!

Life Looms Large said...

Well, I don't mean that you're nagging....but the comments above made me laugh!

S