Monday, February 8, 2010

More Propagation

While walking yesterday I took a few more coyote bush cuttings and a couple from what I think is narrow leaf willow. When I got home from walking and the fun and delicious birthday brunch afterwards, I worked in the yard. I got my cuttings into pots and then started weeding. While weeding around the Ribes speciosum "Fuschia flowering gooseberry" I noticed that a branch had taken root where it touched the ground. So I cut the branch, dug up the lightly rooted branch, cut it into two pieces that both had roots, and put it into one of my propagation pots. A little later in my weeding I found another one like this and did the same thing.

I have been trying to find this plant at a reasonable price for a year. With the exception of a really small specimen in a large and expensive sized pot, it hasn't been available anywhere. I tried unsuccessfully to order it last summer. One nursery told me that they should have some available this month, but I haven't checked back yet. With this unexpected propagation I got excited! I want quite a few of these and they seem to be expensive and hard to find. So I took a couple of long, low branches, scarred the underside a little and buried them under a little dirt. I put a rock on top to hold it down and keep the area moist, and also so I can locate the spot later. In a few weeks, maybe I will have roots and I can cut the branch and dig it up and pot it until the root system is a little bigger. Woohooo! My evil thorn hedge is coming along now!

I've moved the flat of starts out from under the port cochere. It is conveniently close to the water and the front door so I keep track of them better, but I think there is too little light and warmth there. So I put them under a camelia where they won't get too much sun, but will have a little dappled light in the mornings when the sun is out. I just have to remember to keep my eye on them!

No comments: