Monday, March 22, 2010

The First Weekend of Spring

Only at an MG class would you have people telling you the exact minute that spring arrives! (10 something Saturday morning--can't recall the exact minutes they said, but there was more than one person in class who knew this. Amazing!)

If this first weekend was any indication, it is going to be a great garden season! What? You thought I was already gardening? No. That was the weeding season! I was fighting the weed wars! With the coming of spring, the weed wars die down a little and the garden season begins. What do I mean by that? Well, time in the garden to watch things grow, cut a little off here, move a pot there, plant something in the newly developed bed, divide a plant that needs dividing, plant all the stuff that I propagated, and pull a weed here and there. Then sit and watch birds and bugs while drinking a beer.

See how that is different from what I have been doing? I enjoy almost everything I do in the yard, including weed wars, but during the early fall and winter there is a somewhat frantic pace to the weeding. I have to get this patch of oxalis up before it goes to bloom and sets bulbs. I have to get these mallow seedlings out before they overtake the wildflower seeds. I have to get the sowthistle (just learned the name of that one!) out before those yellow flowers become fluffy seeds flying all over. The only one I feel a little less concerned about is the geranium-like weed that is covering some parts of the yard. It takes a long time to flower and effectively crowds out other weeds while it is growing. So it is last on the triage list!

I haven't removed all the weeds in the yard by a long shot. But, we have gotten big patches of them. Between the hand weeding, the flamer and the two trailers of wood chips EE got last week, it feels like the weeds are in retreat for the spring. (I don't kid myself, they will be back next year!) The pace in the yard will feel less frantic, now.

5 comments:

Betty said...

Believe me, I watch from my bedroom window and see this woman (Kelly) look at a spot of ground, stand back and look again, tilt her head and frown a little and I wonder what does she see? I look at the same spot and see dirt because as you know gardening is not my forte. She has so much of her mom and grandma Ely in her and her garden shows the enthusiasm that must run through her mind as she finds that plot of ground (weed free) and imagines which Native Plant would best represent this area. Keep up the good work Kelly because I do enjoy a beautiful garden!

Anonymous said...

I was glad to finally read the "WE" in your post. I have, too, been busy in the yards. EE

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Robert, we can attest to how busy you are in the garden with all the shoveling an hauling you were doing the other day. You two are amazing!

Marsha said...

Can you post some photos? I always like to see what is going on in your garden.

Kelly said...

So you have noticed the lack of photos lately, huh? The desktop has photos from the early 2000s and laptop has the recent photos. I have been reluctant to download my recent pics to the old desktop, because then the order of my photo collection will be all screwy! The computer is coming back for good tonight. Then I just need to take some time to upload, but we can have a photo phrenzy!!