The rainy part of today's storm has arrived. So it is a good time for posting some of the promised pictures! These were taken mid March at the University of California at Santa Cruz Arboretum. They are mostly African and Australian plants and they are very interesting. Its like learning a whole different plant language! The trip was a fun day with Mom and D for her birthday. (A little Emily's Bakery to start the day, plants, then a little Thai Orchid to finish it up!)
Aren't those plants wild!
This morning it got more and more blustery, but I was able to get all my cuttings checked and repotted before the worst of the wind. I stood under the open garage door for shelter from wind and the eventual rain. I had a table to work on, a bowl of 10% bleach solution for sanitizing the old nursery pots, my little notebook so I could record notes for my MG class propagation project sheets, potting soil mix and plenty of plastic bags for making mini greenhouses. By the time I was done t looked like a nursery on the driveway! Actually, at that point I wasn't quite done. I still needed to move all the newly potted plants to the shelter of the porch. The rain had started to sprinkle as I moved them and cleaned up the mess. I finished up and went inside just in time!
The majority of the cuttings are successfully rooting (first potted in February or early March). The ones that were done from the cutting day March 20 are (not surprisingly) not starting to root yet. My propagation project sheets have a space to record how they look each week. That seems too often to me. I really don't expect to see any change at all for about a month or two. Well, unless they die, that is! But if they are going to take, they just seem to look the same for a long time.
1 comment:
When you said, "Thai Orchid", I thought you were talking about a plant and hunted through your photos only not to find one. Mom cleared it up today when she told me that was where you had dinner.
FUNNY
Post a Comment