I'm sure I'll need more than one century of life to do all the things I want to do! Welcome to the blog for my first century's activities.
Monday, April 12, 2010
More Spring Break Pictures
The first half of my spring break was work. Sure, I was in DC, but it was still work. However, on the way back from DC I stopped off in SF for a fun weekend with El Esposo. I met him at the hotel and we spent three days in The City, going to two Giants Games and exploring the area around the ball park.
Here is the view from our room on the 18th floor. Don't look down! We had so much fun that we didn't get anymore pictures! Besides the two cold and rainy games, we saw the Museum of Modern Art, the Museum of Folk Art and Craft, and the Ferry Building's fabulous architecture. It was a wonderful way to relax after the conference.
Then, a day after I went back to work, we were back in SF to see Niece S compete in the Students in Free Enterprise regional competition. She was part of the presenting group and she did such a professional job! This year the team was competing against 4 year schools in addition to the 2 year schools so they weren't sure they would win. But they did it! Now they are on to the national competition in Minneapolis in May.
This was only the start of how I extended my spring break into the following week. More in the next post!
When I was living in SF, I remember well that some of my very favorite times were as a "tourist in my own city"...the days I went down to the piers or Alcatraz or SOMA...too too fun! Sometimes you'd just get so busy living life that you'd forget about the fact that you get to live in this amazing place!
It was really fun during the weekend to finally "connect the dots." My trips to SF have been to discrete spots without ever really knowing how that place was related to this one. During our weekend getaway, I studied the tourist map, we walked a lot, and I was able to "map it out" more completely in my head. I'm no local, but at least now I have a better sense of what is where! And BART, how great is that! Now I want to figure out Caltrain!
That used to happen to me all the time in the City! I'd go to some party and then, 6 months later, you'd be taking a bus somewhere and be like, wait a minute, that looks so familiar! And it would be that place you went to once months ago. Such a weird feeling!
Public transportation, in SF, is rad. People complain all the time, but when you stop and think about it, it's a little miracle. EVERYBODY takes bart or muni in SF. Everyone. When I first moved to the suburbs, I would still take the bus, for habit, and man...the only people who take the bus in the suburbs are teens and adults who lost their license thanks to a DUI. Totally different vibe.
3 comments:
When I was living in SF, I remember well that some of my very favorite times were as a "tourist in my own city"...the days I went down to the piers or Alcatraz or SOMA...too too fun! Sometimes you'd just get so busy living life that you'd forget about the fact that you get to live in this amazing place!
It was really fun during the weekend to finally "connect the dots." My trips to SF have been to discrete spots without ever really knowing how that place was related to this one. During our weekend getaway, I studied the tourist map, we walked a lot, and I was able to "map it out" more completely in my head. I'm no local, but at least now I have a better sense of what is where! And BART, how great is that! Now I want to figure out Caltrain!
That used to happen to me all the time in the City! I'd go to some party and then, 6 months later, you'd be taking a bus somewhere and be like, wait a minute, that looks so familiar! And it would be that place you went to once months ago. Such a weird feeling!
Public transportation, in SF, is rad. People complain all the time, but when you stop and think about it, it's a little miracle. EVERYBODY takes bart or muni in SF. Everyone. When I first moved to the suburbs, I would still take the bus, for habit, and man...the only people who take the bus in the suburbs are teens and adults who lost their license thanks to a DUI. Totally different vibe.
I'm dying to take Tommy on a train trip!
Post a Comment