Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pesticides

I have been working on my MG final this week and one of the topics includes the use of pesticides. Interesting topic...

While I think that large commercial growers are not exempt from worrying about their pesticide use, it was eye-opening to find that one of the largest polluters of the SF bay is the homeowner (pesticides and fertilizers in run-off that gets in the bay). It was also interesting that application rates for commercial growers can be as small as fractions of an ounce per acre. Don't misunderstand , I am not advocating that no one worry about the commercial use of pesticide. But, by focusing on the commercial use, we may be missing an important point.

Since I started this class and became a little more aware, I have heard people talking about a bottle of something that they had gotten from their uncle that works way better than what you can buy. Hmmm. That doesn't sound good.

I heard that they had to add a chemical to Roundup that makes the plant look dead right away because homeowners would use way too much, thinking that it wasn't working. (Roundup takes time to kill the plant because it is systemic and has to circulate through the plant to do its killing).

I heard people who espouse organic everything and who have a severe distrust of the corporate world talk about using a dangerous homemade concoction to deter gophers from their organic gardens. Hmmmm. That doesn't sound good either!

Now, I don't think we should totally trust science. After all, trusting in science gave us this!
But it is interesting learning about the chemical pesticides and how they work. Knowing how they work makes it easier to use them more safely. On the other hand, Master Gardeners are encouraged to suggest all other alternatives first. Obviously, those who are training us don't trust home gardeners to use pesticides correctly! I don't think I blame them!!

No comments: