The poppy field in the backyard felt so decadent. Square foot upon square foot of brilliant orange California poppies. We started with two or three plants that EE bought at Sierra Azul in Watsonville. "Why are you buying poppies in gallon cans and at gallon can prices?" I was disdainful. But he wanted them and he got them. They spread the next year and I helped with some seeds. Last year they were fun--filled with bumblebees frolicking in the pollen. This year...they were beyond description...a field of orange spreading everywhere. People stopped on the sidewalk and just looked into the backyard to behold them. There were so many that they didn't even seem crowded with bees.
They stayed almost beautiful even into the first week of June when we had the faculty party. However, two weeks later they are gone. Turned weedy and ugly, the flowers that are left clashing badly with the clarkia and stealing their magenta thunder. So Tuesday and today I cut them out. I harvested the seed pods in bags, scattered others in bare places of the yard. I was kept company in my work by a dove who spent all day scavenging seeds from where I had removed poppies. A young dove, I think since it stopped periodically to nap, camouflaged against the grey dirt.
Now the clarkia can shine, the grasses have been uncovered, and I have watered in preparation for the next round of California poppy gold. Now that is greed for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment