Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm Cooking Now!

When Mia first posted about Laurel's Kitchen I was excited to do some posts of my own about my adventures. But then I thought, really, who am I kidding? I don't cook anymore. I have The Aunt!

However, during her recovery from knee replacement surgery I did resume cooking duties and I remembered how much I enjoy it. I wasn't always home in time to do anything creative--sauce for pasta using our veggie box fare is my usual standby. Risotto with the veggie box greens is another favorite. Neither take much time. Now that summer vacation is here, I have been a little more creative, trying some of the recipes that take a little more time and that come from the LK or the LK Bread Book. First, I did a fava bean pizza using the pizza dough recipe from LK Bread book. The idea for the pizza topping came from a recipe in the Two Small Farms' newsletter from a few weeks ago. I didn't use goat cheese, I used Queso Oaxaca, a Mexican cheese similar to mozzarella.
It was good, but a bit on the dry side. The beans were the last harvest and they were starting to dry out and be more like dry beans. Also, I think the whole wheat crust could have been a bit thinner. But overall, yummy! What's not to like about fava beans, garlic, parmesan cheese and Oaxacan cheese! (It wasn't overly cheesy, though. I didn't use much of either kind. EE tries not to eat too much cheese so this wasn't a cheese pizza with fava beans!)

Then, today I got out the LK and made a double batch of Piroshkis. The first filling was the one in the book with greens, onions, celery, cilantro, and Sunshine Sauce (yellow from turmeric). I filled them a little more generously than the recipe called for so I didn't have enough filling for the second batch. So I chopped up a potato, some leeks and more greens and filled the second round with this filling and some cottage cheese.
We ate some for dinner tonight, some are in the fridge for lunches in the next couple days and some are in the freezer for future use! I feel quite industrious! Gotta love LK!

10 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Yum! Everything looks great!

I've never thought of fava bean pizza....interesting idea!

Sue

Kelly said...

Just wish I had seen this recipe earlier in the season. The favas are now over. All that is left are the beans that will become next year's crop!

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Aren't Piroshkis Robert's favorite? Why do I think this?

Mia's Classroom said...

Yummy! I made pizza for the boys the other night...I'm wondering if they'd eat a fava bean pizza? I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it! The piroshkis are on my list...they've now been bumped to the top. Those look amazing! I first started getting into cooking during the summers, too. I think cooking is so fun and interesting when you actually have the time to enjoy it!

Mia's Classroom said...

Hey, Kelly...I was just reading my friend's blog and she had made this hat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/46636264/eggplant-baby-hat?ref=em

Do you remember, when Tommy was born (in 2000!) you made him a hat that was just like this, except it was red and green, like a little tomato?! Too weird! I still have that little cap, by the way, tucked into a memory box for latter. I moved those few treasured items into a newer (read: not cardboard) box a few years ago, and I teared up holding that little hat. Now, I can't believe he was ever so small that it fit him!

Anyway, just a little jaunt down memory lane. :)

Carol said...

Kelly gave me the pattern and I still make pumpkin hats for the wee ones at Halloween.

Anonymous said...

My vote for chicken names: Mary, Dora and Virginia- named after our grandmothers. EE

Anonymous said...

Oh, just read mom's post re: 50/50 chance for the chickens to be hens. Maybe a second choice for names should be: John, George and James-Bob. EE

Mia's Classroom said...

Carol ~ Both kids wore that hat while dressed up as pumpkins! Too cute. :) I'll have to see if I can find pictures of that...

Mia's Classroom said...

Oh, I just realized I misspoke! The hat had grey in it...it still worked though, it's just not as red as I wrote!