The other great book I read recently was Farm City: The education of an urban farmer. My Seattle friend mentioned that she had heard an interview on the radio with a woman who was gardening and raising small livestock on vacant lots as a squatter. When I saw the book on the "New Arrivals" shelf of the library, it triggered the memory and I was intrigued.
The author, Novella Carpenter, rented an apartment in inner city Oakland that had a large vacant lot next to it. The book recounts her efforts to create a garden in that vacant lot. The garden at first included bees on the back deck and layers in a chicken coop (she calls these the "gate-way" urban farm animals, as in pot is a gate-way drug!). She then moves on to meat animals that she feeds by dumpster diving for restaurant waste in Oakland and Berkeley.
It was a fun read, because I could see myself and my own "farm fantasy," but Carpenter has it on steroids! It was also fun to read for the picture she painted of Oakland, both current and historical. She also tells the history of urban farming, both in general and in the local area. I was continually intrigued, too, by the picture of the neighborhood she lived in and how multidimensional it was--filled with crime and drugs, but also very much a neighborhood with a sense of community.
5 comments:
Oh my cuteness! Your chicks are amazing.
Our school district participates in a nutrition grant which, among other things, provides garden para-professionals for our school sites. They work with the children to create food and flower gardens, and there's a whole math and science curriculum they do. So awesome.
Anyway, the young ladies (I think there are a few men involved, but I've never worked with them) are so dang hipster. I love them! A couple of them live in a communal house in the San Antonio section of Oakland. (They live on 23rd Ave. one block west from BART train tracks - overhead - and one block east from International Blvd - used to be called East 14th. It's...very urban.)
They've also taken over an adjacent lot, and they had to do months (years?) of soil-conditioning...composting, digging out tires and glass and garbage, soil tests for toxins, etc. It's so beautiful now! It's taken years, but they have a green house and a cob bench and a grey water system and a food garden plus bees and chickens. Everything is done with repurposed materials and/or community work days.
http://oaklandsol.org/wp/ Here's their website. They're usually on the Bay Friendly Garden Tour also.
Damn hippies. :) I'm totally going to read that book, too!
Oh my! Our school garden programs have master gardeners. Definitely suburban here, no hipsters!
I don't know if you saw my comment from yesterday about Farm City, but I finished reading it this past weekend. Funny how the world works. I was going to put the book in the mail to you this week 'cause I knew you would love it and here you were reading it at the same time!
So much talk about the book has been about the fact that Novella kills the animals she raises for food. But I was struck by the amount of food we waste personally and as a nation. Her descriptions of the restaurant dumpsters was an eye-opener. Also, how poor neighborhoods are often "food deserts". I was thinking of this yesterday when I had two different grocery store experiences. I was running errands and stopped by Whole Foods for a cup of soup and salad for $10. Later, I had some time before school let out so I decided to check out Grocery Outlet that opened two weeks ago in my neighborhood. I think the store buys up close outs or something. There were brands I didn't recognize. The only cereals were the sugary type that Ben loves, but are not allowed in our house. What really got me is I overheard a mother and daughter discussing what they could buy since they only had a certain amount of money. I have the luxury of shopping for food and not worrying about price. I can buy fresh fruits and veggies and I can afford the extra it costs for organic. It seems to me that fresh, nutritious, affordable food should be a available to all residents of this country. If this means raising, killing and eating chickens, turkeys, ducks and rabbits in you're backyard, I'm all for it. Not so sure about pigs though. :-)
Oops. Should be "your" and not "you're". And I was an English major....
Yes Marsha, I have had the same experience with grocery stores lately. Not much real food in them... Living even a halfway sustainable life really seems to be a luxury that many can't afford. Maybe that's a post I'll have to do one of these days...
Post a Comment