Monday, June 14, 2010

LK cooking tip #1

Make your own broth.
Save your vegetable peelings, onion skins, etc. in a bag in the freezer. When you have saved up a good batch of them, simmer them in a pot (the crockpot works well). Ladle the broth into muffin tins and freeze. Once they are frozen, put the frozen broth "muffins" in freezer bags to store. The muffin tins give you about half a cup of broth or a full cup depending on their size.

Free broth without all the sodium and in convenient, one-recipe sizes!

6 comments:

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

OK Kelly, you are your grandfather's grandaughter. Whenever I find myself throwing away the end of a pepper or tomato, I think of him telling me to save them and make broth. I really don't think he cared about sodium, though.

Kelly said...

And with chickens in a makeshift brooder in the house, I am my great grandfather's great granddaughter, too! I've heard a story about the chicks in Pop's house in a brooder about half the size of the dining room table!

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

You heard right. They were turkeys and many of them with lame legs. They splinted the legs, and the little turkeys actually were wandering around the room. A REAL FARMHOUSE. Movies of that farm are on the video I made for your Mom and Aunt Betty. I was five when we spent a week on that farm. I've tried to find it again, since we know the name of the road, but haven't been able to.

Carol said...

Balls Ferry Rd right. We have tried to find it also.I remember the turkey that mended it's leg and then fell in the water dish and drowned.Also the sacks of wey dripping on the clothes line to make cottage cheese.And then tere were the pigs wallowing in the stream as we played in the water.

Betty said...

Memories are made of this!! Hey that was my very carefully splinted turkey that fell in the water dish and I still hate it!(not the turkey but it drowning)

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

I found my copy of the video and could hardly wait to play it. We've changed servers since I've watched one and I can't figure out how to make it work. Technology!!!! Remember how we swam in the creek with the pig?