On Sunday I worked in the yard all day with my propagation babies (more on that later). I had my phone upstairs so I didn't hear the two calls from El Esposo, who was at work. When he got home about 4 he said he "I'll be back, I'm going out for a bit." Weird thing for him to say. "Are you going to OSH?" I asked. He's been frequenting that place A LOT since all the digging and plumbing and electrical has been going on. "No," he says. No explanation. Hmm. Then he says, "Don't listen to your phone messages, I have a surprise." Hmmm. Ok. He is gone a very long time and we are having 4th of July dinner around 6. (The Aunt made barbeque chicken--with the skin on for a treat--potato salad and corn on the cob. Yummy!!!) While he is gone I notice that he took my car, not the truck. Hmmmmm. Then The Aunt notices that the blanket on the keets has blown off. No. It's gone. Hmmmmmmmmm. He took a moving blanket, but not the truck. He is gone a long time. What is he doing??? Finally, it is so close to 6 that I call and ask his ETA. He says he is about 10 minutes from home and on his way. As I am setting the table a strange truck slows down in front of the house. It prepares to back into the driveway and I see....
OH MY!!!!!!!





A 1947 Crosley Shelvador refrigerator! And it works! At some point the white fridge was painted green and silver, but it seems to have all its parts and it works! It is only 23" deep (EE says I should tell all the dimensions 60"x23"x33"and it will fit in the space in the kitchen of this old house! Unlike the stainless steel monstrosity that is there now. Hooray for Craigslist and El Esposo's internet shopping luck! Now he's researching
restoration places. While most people are yearning for a nice big stainless steel fridge with water filters and automatic ice makers, I am ecstatic over this old thing with a freezer you see above and an old fashioned "kalunk" when it closes! The restoration place that looks the best so far has a 9 month backlog so it will probably be awhile before you hear more--or see the stainless steel monstrosity on Craigslist!--but stay tuned!
Here is the "little more" from the title:
A while back we came home from EE's dad's house with some furniture. It had been in his garage after he saw it on the porch at an old friend's that he was visiting with after a funeral. On the porch! Good man that he is, he rescued it! And since he was trying to get rid of stuff, we took it! Look at how interesting these pieces are!





I am one lucky blogger!
3 comments:
I disinfected the inside of the Crosley and took photos from various views for Austin at Antique Appliance in Clayon, Georgia. I will e-mail them when Kelly returns from her conference with her laptop. EE
Well played, EE! That refrigerator is adorable (need I mention the Waltons...again? I tried to find something on youtube for you, to see if it sparked your memory, but no luck...yet!!) and how funny that Whitey had that furniture stored away and just waiting for you. Good stuff!
The Godfather to the house says the furniture is probably 1890-1910 Colonial Revival. Looks like oak?
Post a Comment