Monday, July 19, 2010

Time for Thinking

The last few years at work haven't been very conducive to thinking about my teaching. Now, running a grant that is about improving how students do in science and math fields, I have structured time this summer to do this thinking.

One result... I found The Virtual Conference on Soft Skills, hosted by Point of Inflection. It has been very interesting reading the posts and the comments. Another result, lots of blog reading of math/science teachers trying to be better teachers. Along the way I found this GREAT quote:

"Just don’t make this about some magic set of rules that are going to make your classroom perfect. Guess what? That will never happen. Stop looking. Education is always going to be ugly. It’s always going to be hard. Progress will be slow and sometimes backwards. Students are going to make you cry your eyes out on your commute home..." (Thanks to ThinkThankThunk)


3 comments:

Mia's Classroom said...

Great quote. Awesome! I just finished a two day workshop for teaching math in elementary schools, in which I described trying to develop number sense in seven year olds as a "sweaty, grim affair". ha! I really mean it, too! Still, guess what? Wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China. :)

Kelly said...

Yeah... messy, sweaty, unpredictable, sometimes slow, sometimes going backwards...immensely satisfying...

I think I see a pattern here. Gardening is like this too!

Carol said...

Ahh but they all grow up and take a little something from us in the end.