Friday, September 10, 2010

Sleep for Health!

I am a 9-10 hour person. Back when I could let myself wake up naturally for a few days in a row (no dogs, no chickens, hadn't promised EE that I would get up with him), I pretty consistently slept 9-10 hours. When I nap, I sleep almost exactly an hour and a half. I think this means my natural sleep cycle is 1.5 hours rather than the more commonly cited 1 hour. The brain like full cycles. Thus the 9 hours (1.5 goes into 9 six times--nice and even--6 full sleep cycles is what my brain likes). I am fortunate not to have much trouble sleeping! True, the "journey to menopause" has left me with lots of spare time at 3 a.m. My colleagues at work and I joke that we are all free for meetings at that time! But for the most part, I haven't suffered from insomnia. I sure hopes that continues. I love sleeping!

Here is some recent research relating health and sleep.
Sleep and teen depression
Sleep and child obesity
Sleep and heart health
Sleep and increased diabetes risk
Sleep and Fibromyalgia

When talking with people, I am always surprised at how little sleep they exist on (and I am not just talking about college students or new parents, both of whom are notoriously sleep deprived). I am also surprised at how little sleep people enforce on their children. I would think that putting your kids to bed would be a necessary way for a parent to get some peace and quiet!


Eat your vegetables, get enough sleep, drink water, get outside and move. Could these four instructions be enough after all?

2 comments:

Carol said...

Now you're concerned about hours of sleep parents inflict on their children!Hmmmm..

Mia's Classroom said...

haha Carol's comment made me giggle. :)

I know I don't get enough sleep, but nothing compares to the Great Sleep Drought of aught-one. You really shouldn't underestimate the effects of sleep deprivation on your personality, in addition to whatever other physical and health issues that may arise.

Having kids was the stupidest thing I ever did, in relation to sleep habits, for sure.