Monday, January 31, 2011

More Veggie Garden Planning

About two weeks ago I harvested the first cabbage from the garden and made cole slaw. I make it with a combination of mayonnaise, olive oil, and vinegar as the dressing and El Esposo really likes it. This cabbage was so beautiful! It was a little too young, so it was less crunchy--a little more like lettuce in texture than it will be when it is older. The cole slaw got a "two thumbs up."

I also got my seeds ordered and they arrived! In fact, some of the veggie seeds have been planted already (peas and more broccoli and radishes), but those were all seeds I already had. The ones I ordered will be planted a little later and put in the ground in May or so. Here is what I ordered from the seed savers exchange catalog.
Two kinds of cucumbers, two kinds of beans (one called Lazy Housewife!), onions and radishes. It might be a little ambitious for someone who has just recently started to have veggie garden success. Oh well, that's the good thing about seeds. They keep for awhile. If I don't get them all in this year, it isn't a waste!

I also ordered the sunflower combo, tobacco (what a beautiful plant) and a mallow.
Here is what is in the sunflower combo.


If I can keep the seedlings protected from slugs and snails I plan to have a large mixed sunflower patch using ALL the seeds. The location I am planning is now part of a large brush pile so I have some work to do (and so does EE) to haul away some of the brush pile to become mulch at the Last Chance Mercantile.

A brush pile is a wonderful idea, but the brush from this yard collects faster than it can decompose and now it is about 20 x 8 and about 4 feet high. The idea was to have a small brush pile next to the veggie garden that would be ready to spread as compost each year. Ha! Nice idea, but the reality is an ugly brush pile that just keeps growing!

2 comments:

Betty said...

I, for one, can't wait for your garden's success! I have enjoyed broccoli, turnips, onions and potatoes. I have missed the cole slaw both times but I am sure it was yummy. Keep Planting!!!

Carol said...

My cabbages are beginning to look like yours now.Yeah!!!