Dad and Marlyn came to visit on Wednesday of last week. They rode the train down from northern California! Taking the train just about doubled the time it took to get here, but it made the trip part of the actual destination! Riding the train is fun. They thought so too. You can read, people watch in the view cars, watch the scenery go by, and you don't have to worry about traffic or tule fog!
We had a great visit. They got to use the spare room which had just recently been outfitted as the bridal room. I don't think I have posted pictures:


I don't seem to have one of the other side of the room where the sofa bed is. Hmmm...Anyway, the sofa bed is still there, and I turned the twin bed sideways and bought linens and pillows to make it a daybed. My old sewing machine (from a friend who inherited it from her mother), a bookcase, and the family corner cabinet fill in the rest. (The top picture was taken the night of the wedding and the thing that looks like a lamp on the right is the photographers light umbrella!)
The room is on the southeast side of the house so it is nice and bright during the day. Dad and Marlyn slept well, so I think it is now a pretty comfortable guest room. Just a couple weeks ago it was not! It was the staging area for all the painting! I do still need to get a D-shape curtain rod and shower curtain for the bathtub. It has a shower nozzle and can be used as a shower. I don't have a picture of the bathroom, but it has become the orchid keeping room. All the orchids that people got at work when the new jobs started have lost their flowers and been given to me to rehabilitate. We'll see if I can convince them to bloom again!
Our visit was really fun. I know I inherited/learned my love of reading from Dad! I should have taken a picture--the Aunt came out to the dining room one morning while we were having coffee and said it looked like a Starbucks--all of us sitting around with our books and me reading my morning computer blogs!
We ate well (thanks to the Aunt!), we visited the Central Coast (and quite pregnant!) niece at her workplace, we talked computers and iphones (maybe I got my love of the tech toys from him, too), we stopped into a used bookstore downtown and came away with treasures, and we relaxed and talked and read. Dad even spent some time reading in the sunny mezzanine--it's pretty cold up there in the winter with all the leaky windows so he didn't stay long!
With all that reading going on, El Esposo got inspired! Dad was reading David McCoulough's Truman. EE really liked others by him, Undaunted Courage, about Lewis and Clark, and 1776. So he sent me to the library in search of McCoulough's John Adams. He started it last night and I turned off the light and closed my book before he did, so I know he is enjoying it.
Dad and Marlyn left on Friday morning and I returned to work. What a short work week...back on Tuesday, off at noon on Wednesday and then in late on Friday! It was a fun visit and a great way to start off 2012!
2 comments:
Our two-time VP to George Washington had much vigor and intellect said to his wife, Abigail, "my country has in its wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."
WISE
Post a Comment