My first training milestone was to try the Mission Peak to Sunol part of the 50K route. Let me just say that the first few miles were HARD! They made me wonder how I was ever going to manage the entire 31 miles in May. But once the ground flattened out, I would feel better and recover a little before the next climb. Once over Mission Peak, the trail was a nice gradual downhill to Sunol. We went a little further past Sunol--to the 10.5 mile mark--so that with that little out and back, the total was 12 miles. The trail out of Sunol climbed some more, which was hard. But even harder was the downhill to get back to Sunol. Knee-shreddingly hard! I definitely need more of the downhill muscles in my legs!
I feel pretty good this morning. Of course it helps that I went online last night to the website for the 50K and in last year's results I found there was a group of three men with the same last name who finished the course in just over 11 hours--Grandfather at 81, Father at 50, and Son at 18. That little piece of information makes my morning aches and pains totally disappear!
Here are a few pictures.
1 comment:
I wish I was there walking with you even with the aches and pains. The view is beautiful!
Post a Comment