Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Vacations Starts Today

But for the first time in my half century of life, I'm not having one!  Yikes!

Just for the sake of accuracy, there were years during college when I worked a lot during the summer--but it was never a "real" full time job.  I worked at K-Mart and had a second job at The Homestead Restaurant for a little while in the summer between sophomore and junior year of college, but that was as close to full time work during the summer as I have ever had.  Well...maybe the first two summers of teaching, when I gave into the begging from the dean and (against my judgement) agreed to teach two courses in summer school, is close to full time work in the summer.  It was about 6 hours of class time and a $H!+load of grading--but it was only for 6 of the 10 weeks of summer break and I still felt like a teacher on summer vacation.  I haven't taught summer school ever since, though!

So this year, instead of posts about aaahhhhlmost summer, I have been thinking about the next few months as one of the busiest times of the year.  There are quite a few things culminating in my work realm this summer and I will have plenty to keep me occupied.  I probably will be so busy that I won't notice that I am missing summer vacation for the first time in my life.  I certainly will notice that I get a year round paycheck this year!  (OK--truth?  I won't notice, I never even remember that it is payday, but EE will!)  I will be working with many of my favorite work family on my summer work projects, so I doubt I will feel as though the campus is lonely or deserted. But still... Can you tell I am feeling just a little sorry for myself/ ;-)

1 comment:

Mia's Classroom said...

I'm feeling sorry for you too!! Ahhhh summer :) Six more days for me. I'm working 4 weeks this summer, so I think that strikes a nice balance between "i'd like to eat, please" and "omg i'm dying somebody let me sleep in the sun". :D For some reason my blog doesn't let me comment anymore (ugh) but i wanted to say we had a BLAST with you guys on the Ohlone 50K. you're famous in these parts as "my crazy cousin who walked more than 31 miles in 9 hours".