Monday, February 2, 2009

Music and Education

Let's hope that the stimulus package includes education (even though some in Congress are opposed), and let's hope it brings us more programs like the one in this NPR story.

While banks, investment companies, and auto dealers are getting funding to cover over their mistakes (and greed?) educators are continuing to "make do" with even less. (How many of the supplies and materials in your local classrooms were bought by the teachers? Even at the college, we have been told there are no more office supplies for the year.) Yet there is constant testing to make sure educators are "held accountable."

I dream of a society where education is valued, not with lip-service, but REALLY valued.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I am with you Kelly. While sports greats (and you know I like football) are payed millions our teachers need to beg for supplies or supply them themselves. I have lots of faith in our new President and know education is important to both him and the First Lady. I am counting on him to shed some light (and funds) for education.

GRANDMA SPEAKING said...

Kelly, I'm frustrated with our entire school district, and the state. We are,like most, without the funds to supply what's needed to run a classroom, but are building a multi million dollar theater.In good times, great, but now? So I hear, the drama teacher has been layed off! I know the whole bond thing, and it can only be spent certain ways, but I don't have to agree with it. Somewhere, higher up, that has to be straightened out. AHHH!!!




























































































1