Monday, February 16, 2009

Wiiiiiiiiii!

Wii Fit, that is!

A friend stopped over last night with her Wii Fit game. (She even has a little TV that she uses with it to make it portable.) We played for a couple hours with everyone getting a try! The game has you make a little character called a Mii that represents you. It has a board that you stand on and it assesses your balance. Here is the Aunt getting her balance assessed and my friend Stump (I will call her that since that is the nickname she gave to her Mii) showing her how.


Then there are balance games. One of my favorites is the hula hoop! You have a little character on the screen (your Mii) and you can see it moving as you move. You have to pretend to have a hula hoop and you spin it as fast as you can, as you do this, your Mii on the screen is hula hooping. From the distance of the TV screen little people throw new hoops to you and you lean over to try to "catch" them. The board senses your lean and if you lean the right amount the hoop goes over you, I mean your Mii. So now you are (the Mii is) hula hooping with multiple hoops. If you don't lean right, the hoop hits you and you miss. The distraction of missing and getting hit (on the TV screen--not really) is distracting and made me lose track of the hula-ing! The beginner game is three minutes of hula and boy is that enough to make you hurt! If you slow down too much, the hula hoops fall down--just like in real life!

Another fun game (fun means I was decent at it and my little Mii didn't end up shaking its head and pounding on the ground in frustration!) was the ski jump. You squat and lean a little forward. If you lean just right you pick up max speed as the Mii sails down the ramp. When you get to the red zone you have to straighten up and lean forward (without falling off the little board). If you fall off, the Mii falls and ends up in a snowball rolling with skis flying. Ouch!
Here are El Esposo and I ski jumping.

Notice that we are doing this game facing the window. We set it up there since that was the only table in the living room with enough room. I still am laughing about what this must have looked like out our curtainless windows last night! Not only is the Wiii entertaining for those who are doing it, in our case it was entertaining for anyone who happened down our relatively busy street!

One of my worst games was soccer. You stand there and soccer balls are thrown at you. You lean left and right to try to hit them with your mii's head. But watch out. Sometimes it is a shoe that is flying at you and if you hit that--SMACK! And you lose points. There is also a panda bear head. It looks a lot like a soccer ball, but if you hit that you lose three points. I was TERRIBLE at this one!

Stump, left the Wii for a couple days. She was going scrapbooking today and will pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Meanwhile, I just spent another 45 minutes doing Wii games and exercises. Thank you Stump! This is really fun!

What will they think of next!

4 comments:

Mia's Classroom said...

You know who is great at the soccer game? Scotty!! Seriously, that kid rocks it. It's the funniest thing in the world to watch him on the ski jump too...he doesn't have your form, but it's hilarious! Tommy is really good at most of the games, but the funniest thing I ever saw was when he was trying to earn points on the running to open a new section, and he was sick of running around, so I caught him kicking back on the couch, shaking the controller *as though* it were in his pocket and he was running around!

Kelly said...

Virtual exercise! Leave it to a kid to figure that out!

Anonymous said...

Yep on the ski jump game I always end as a snowball and I kinda like the soccer game but I do end up hitting the panda's a lot :) Hope you have fun with the wii, I keep trying to convince my mom to get our's from Michael and send it to me :)

Anonymous said...

I chose the color for the trim last week and painted one of the windows. Guess what the color was. The same as your window. However, Marlyn has vetoed it.
I will be in your neigborhood on the weekend of the 23rd, 24th of May as we are going to San Diego to Marlyn's grandson's graduation from the Marines. Will you be around. Love Dad.