Monday, March 9, 2009

Fun Weekend! New Plants! Pulled Weeds!

After watching X's team win the championship game on Saturday night (yay!!) I spent the night at Mom's and then went with them to pick up niece T at the airport. Had a great breakfast at their fav diner and then dropped her back off at college. Mom and D then loaded up an heirloom Weigela they had dug up for me and took me home.

I say heirloom because it is definitely a family heirloom. The original was growing at my grandmothers house. They took a cutting when they moved in the seventies and then my mom has several from the plant that came of that cutting. I had one at our other house, but didn't take a cutting when we moved here. No worries! Mom has plenty! She and D dug one out for me and have another that they will try to take out. She still has two that she will keep. I got a cutting a couple years ago and it is struggling along, not very big. The dug up one I just got is about 4-5 feet tall after pruning and has a root ball about 18'' to 2' wide. It could easily be cut into two or more plants and that is what I will do. I think it will look great down in the darker part of the yard along the fence. The white flowers will add something bright to attract attention down there. Here's a picture from the web. I haven't taken a picture of it.
Then, since it is now daylight savings time, I still had time to weed and cut ivy yesterday until almost 7! I have a forest of prunus ilicifolia seedlings where there was once ivy! My california lilacs are all blooming--even the smallest, saddest one! And my wildflower seeds (mostly poppies, but hopefully some of the other more interesting ones) are coming up slowly but surely.

Maybe we will even get the lawns cut this week! Construction can only serve as an excuse for so long before your yard just starts to look like you don't care. Yellow oxalis flowers may be cheery, but large stands of them in the front lawn are just not a good statement!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Way to go you guys!I was done in by all the fun by the time we got home.We let Nobhill cook our chicken and made a quick salad and called it a day! It was great seeing all the progress. The addition is beautiful and once the pedestal goes in it will be a picture right out of Architectural Digest.The colors are awesome!

Mia's Classroom said...

Kelly, I think it's time for you and Moose to visit again. Bring a shovel, and tell Moose to bring a paintbrush! :P